|September 25, 2019||8:45 am – 3:00 pm||September 20, 2019|
This workshop will be beneficial for you if:
- Positive motivators (stickers, charts, money) don’t seem to help the child and sometimes cause the situation to become worse.
- Negative consequences (time outs, punishments, angry reprimands) don’t change the child’s behaviour in a positive way and may even make them angrier, more non-compliant or more inflexible.
- The child or adolescent you are thinking about exhibits intense temper outbursts, oppositional behaviours, and/or verbal and physical aggression.
- The Collaborative Problem Solving (CPS) approach pioneered by Drs. Ross Greene and Stuart Ablon through the Department of Psychiatry at Massachusetts General Hospital, helps adults teach and assist children and adolescents who experience these challenging difficulties, while reducing the frequency and intensity of the explosive, inflexible non-compliant behaviours.
Through large group opportunities, video excerpts, and case examples, participants will understand:
- How different explanations and interpretations of these behaviours lead to dramatically different approaches.
- Why conventional reward and punishment procedures may not be effective for many children who fit this profile.
- The necessary steps in implementing the CPS approach.
- How to be part of the solution, rather than unintentionally adding to the problem.
About the Facilitator
Kent Hollingsworth, M.A., CSFT, has been providing counselling support to children, youth, and adults for more than 20 years. He is a Certified Solution Focused Therapist and Supervisor. Kent has received advanced level training through Dr. Greene and has facilitated workshops in the Collaborative Problem Solving approach to schools, agencies, group homes, and parents for nearly a decade, with a focus on supporting persons with special needs. He has also implemented this approach with students, parents, and school staff members through his work as a School Counsellor and Behavioural Consultant. In addition to this workshop, he teaches Beyond the Basics: Working with Explosive, Non-compliant Individuals II, as well as workshops on Solution Focused Therapy and Grief, Trauma and Loss, and Supporting Adults with Challenging Behaviours: A Collaborative Approach.
Participants will receive a Certificate of Attendance upon completion of workshop.
How to Register
Registration for this event is now closed. To inquire about booking this event in the future or other events, please visit our event booking page or contact us by phone at 403-524-2522 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.