Facilitated by: Kent Hollingsworth MA, CSFT, Associate Partner | Behaviour Consultant/Counsellor
|August 25, 2021||8:45 am – 3:15 pm||August 18, 2021|
This workshop will be beneficial for you if:
- Positive motivators (stickers, charts, money) don’t seem to help the child and sometimes cause the situation to become worse.
- Negative consequences (time outs, punishments, angry reprimands) don’t change the child’s behaviour in a positive way and may even make them angrier, more non-compliant or more inflexible.
- The child or adolescent you are thinking about exhibits intense temper outbursts, oppositional behaviours, and/or verbal and physical aggression.
- The Collaborative Problem Solving (CPS) approach pioneered by Drs. Ross Greene and Stuart Ablon through the Department of Psychiatry at Massachusetts General Hospital, helps adults teach and assist children and adolescents who experience these challenging difficulties, while reducing the frequency and intensity of the explosive, inflexible non-compliant behaviours.
Through large group opportunities, video excerpts, and case examples, participants will understand:
- How different explanations and interpretations of these behaviours lead to dramatically different approaches.
- Why conventional reward and punishment procedures may not be effective for many children who fit this profile.
- The necessary steps in implementing the CPS approach.
- How to be part of the solution, rather than unintentionally adding to the problem.
About the Facilitator
Kent Hollingsworth, M.A., CSFT, has been providing counseling support to children, youth and adults for more than 20 years. He is a Behavior and Clinical Consultant and Certified Solution Focused Therapist and Supervisor. He has attended advanced level training with Dr. Greene and has facilitated workshops in the Collaborative Problem – Solving approach to schools, agencies, group homes, and parents for over a decade, with a primary focus on supporting persons with neurodevelopmental challenges. He teaches Level 1, 2 and 3 full day CPS Workshops, as well as Supporting Adults with Challenging Behaviors: A Collaborative Approach. In addition, he also provides training workshops on Solution Focused Therapy and Grief & Loss. Kent is a 3- time presenter at the North American Solution Focused Therapy Conference.
Participants will receive a Certificate of Attendance upon completion of workshop.